SPMT 430 - Week 8 Blog - Affiliate Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu School Grand Opening.

 For context, I train and coach Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu at Centreville BJJ, and we are part of an affiliation called Big Brothers. There are about 10 plus BJJ schools in the DMV area that are affiliated with Big Brothers and a new school recently opened up in Fairfax called Cascades. The new gym owner is one of my old former coaches who taught me BJJ at Centreville BJJ and earned his black belt last year. The funny story is that both my gym and his new gym are held inside Tae Kwon Do schools. Both of our schools are Tae Kwon Do schools full-time, and BJJ schools part-time, mostly in the evenings. It was a great experience to cross-train with everyone who I don't normally spar with on a normal basis, and see most of the affiliates from multiple schools show up to support. As well as friends that I have made along the way who are not a part of the Big Brothers affiliation, who train at other schools and enjoy the opportunity to experience what is taught at each and every separate school. I always enjoy these big events of a school having a special event such as an anniversary party, grand opening, and/or promotions because it brings a lot of people together who you wouldn't normally train with and have the opportunity to talk with new BJJ practitioners. I got to train with a new white belt who is an older gentleman, a seasoned tae kwon do athlete who just garnered new interest in BJJ grappling. Sparred with him at a slow pace so he could learn, and not hurt him. After our sparring session, he said it was nice sparring with me because I was doing something new that his usual training partners wouldn't do, and I said yes, that's what's so great about our Big Brothers affiliation because everyone is different in what we like to do in BJJ. These BJJ special events are a great opportunity to experience new styles of Jiu-Jitsu, and a great learning experience to grow our sport, and ourselves in the world of Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SPMT 430 - Week 10 Blog - World Series Games 1 & 2, LA Dodgers vs. NY Yankees

SPMT 430 - Week 9 Blog - Washington Commanders Recap Vs. the Baltimore Ravens and Carolina Panthers

SPMT 430 - Week 11 Blog - World Series: Dodgers Win!