SPMT 430 - Week 4 - Ran a Spartan race

     Over the past weekend, I ran a spartan race, for those who don't know it is an obstacle course race that varies from 5k, 10k, and 20k. I chose to do the Spartan Race Sprint, a 5k race with about 20 obstacle courses. I have no idea why I decided to do it, probably because like Snoop Dogg at the Olympics this year, I wanted to do something spontaneous and do a little side quest. As a coach and participant in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, I already competed about 3 times this year with mixed results. After competing so much, I thought it would be healthy to take a break from competition and test myself with this Spartan race. 

IT WAS TOUGH!!!

All I did to prepare myself for this race was do some leisurely jogging around my neighborhood until I hit about 2- 3 miles since a 5k race is essentially 3 miles. As well as staying consistent with my BJJ training because it all involved cardio, and I thought this training would improve my cardio overall. But I neglected my strength training! My mediocre strength training regimen included nothing but body workouts such as grappling with my training partners, and the various calisthenics workouts that I would fail to imitate that I would see online. For next time, I would put more focus on training my shoulder strength because the majority of the obstacle courses involved a lot of strain on the shoulders to complete. Overall, it was a fun experience running the race, and I would do it again, but maybe I would ask some friends to do it along with me next time as a motivational way to stay true to training leading up to the race as well as have some encouragement with each other to finish. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SPMT 430 - Week 10 Blog - World Series Games 1 & 2, LA Dodgers vs. NY Yankees

SPMT 430 - Week 9 Blog - Washington Commanders Recap Vs. the Baltimore Ravens and Carolina Panthers

SPMT 430 - Week 11 Blog - World Series: Dodgers Win!